Snack #3 of 4 snacks featured in my 4 Vegan Gluten-Free Snack Recipes video.
These are the perfect little treats to pop in your mouth when you're feeling peckish between meals and that stomach of yours won't quit nagging you. Not only do they provide a burst of energy, but they will keep you full for a while thanks to the fiber in the dates, whole grain oats, and chia seeds.
Pack these to school or work for a midday snack, and you'll be set! Plus, the natural sweetness from the dates and dried cranberries combined with the cacao powder will satisfy that sweet tooth without feeling too indulgent or heavy!
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 0
Total Time: 12 (additional 10 minutes if soaking dates)
Yield: 8 energy balls
Click here to download the PDF version of this recipe!
• 1/2 cup dates (I used Medjool dates.)
• 1 chia egg (1 tbsp. chia seeds + 1 1/2 tbsp. water)
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries
• 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
• 3 tbsp. cacao powder or cocoa powder (plus extra for dusting if desired)
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
Check your dates to see if they are soft and malleable enough, if not soak in a bowl of hot water for 10 minutes.
Mix 1 tbsp. chia seeds with 1 1/2 tbsp. water to make a chia egg and set aside.
Add all your ingredients in a food processor and pulse till all the ingredients clump together to form a dough.
Use a spoon or a cookie scoop to spoon out about 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp. of dough. Roll into a ball between the palm of your hands.
(Optional) Dust and/or roll in extra cacao or cocoa powder. Enjoy!
• Keep for about 4 to 5 days at room temperature, 1 full week in the refrigerator, or 1 month in the freezer.